Saturday, January 5, 2013

Brain Food Purchase

Stumbled upon a book sale here in Helsinki... Oooooops :)


From top to bottom:
  1. Wilkie Collins "The Woman in White" - considered to be one of the first "mystery novels". Of course I am intrigued. How did they (attempt to) write spooky stuff in the 19th century?
  2. George Orwell "1984" - probably the most famous of all dystopian novels, which I, sadly, missed in the high-school. There must have been a choice between this book and some others, and for some totally unexplainable reason, I must have chosen that something else. Though, plowing my way through it now, I feel like I have already "read" it - afterall, if you have seen "Equilibrium" and read "Fahrenheit 451" (R. Bradbury) and "Brave New World" (A. Huxley), added the occasional flirt with marvellous Anne Applebaum (who writes of this stuff in terms of how it really was - I read her enormous and spooky to the bone "Gulag: A History"), how much new can it be in regards of book-burning and turning the whole society into mindless duckspeakers?
  3. Hunter S. Thompson "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" - because the movie was not too shabby and what better way to spend a snowy evening than getting drifted away by delusional drug-induced journeys of a few Americans?
  4. Jeanette Winterson "Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?" - because how can you possibly not want to read a book with such a title? 
  5. Ernest Hemingway "For Whom the Bell Tolls" - my last contact with Hemingway goes back many years and I think now I am again ready for the overload of testosterone and his, apologises for the expression, but what I remember as quite plain writing style. (O the things we go through for you, authors of classics!) 
  6. William Faulkner "The Hamlet" - because I felt it is about time to rekindle my love for this Mississippian master of written word. 

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to your thoughts about these shiny new books.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)